Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Too Much Stuff!
Have you ever had the feeling that you're surrounded by just too much stuff? Do you find yourself wanting to unload all but the very necessary? Make life simple? Why do we have that gene that makes us want to amass things "in case" we ever need to use them? Why can't we borrow more or rent more and buy less stuff ?
I go through spurts of accumulating things and then somewhere down the road, I start wanting to lighten the load, in case I put on my walking shoes and change my life's direction. I like my creature comforts but there are so many things I have that I don't really have to have in order to be comfortable.
I'll never give up my bed. I love my bed. I embrace sleep like a welcome lover. But I could do without the heated mattress pad in the winter, and the down comforter. I could have plainer, simpler ways of keeping warm. I don't have to have 98 sets of sheets; I could get along with 2 sets, one on the bed and one to change off with when it's time to launder.
I don't need all the pots and pans I have accumulated. Or all the coffee mugs, or t-shirts with logos. I don't need a jewelry box full of earrings. I usually only wear two pair anyway. I don't need 157 different pens around the house; 2 or 3 would be adequate. So why do I do this? Is it a compulsion?
Now I'm coveting fabric. Collecting various fabrics with dragonfly designs on them. Okay, I DO want to make a quilt with them, but already I have accumulated far more than I need to accomplish this. I have to STOP.
I need to be happy with what I have and just make do. I can't have it all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You and Eric Bibb. And a whole lot more of us with too much stuff! I also need to simplify, clean out and unclutter. I don't know what it is either, but if I figure it out I'll let you know.
Post a Comment