Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Portsmouth

Portsmouth has this eerie effect on me. I can so easily get lost in Portsmouth, in fact, I have; many times. One time I found myself in Maine and realized I had overshot my mark, going to meet with friends for The Serfs and had to back track to get where I was supposed to be; another time I was meeting J for the first time and forgot how to get back to the parking garage from Market Street!! How ridiculous is that? Yesterday, I managed to get lost again, of course, in Portsmouth. I was headed down Route One to a medical appointment and all of a sudden, things didn't look like I expected they should on the way to this office. Mentally going over the location, I realized the office was not on route one, but, for the life of me, couldn't come up with the street location in my head! I panicked as usual, and headed toward downtown Portsmouth hoping something would look familiar to me and I would get back on track. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the clock because I now have 12 minutes to be on time for my appointment. I wended my way all through downtown Portsmouth before I came up with the idea of finding my way from there to Woodbury Avenue, where I think the office is. Ahhh, now it's coming back to me...it IS on Woodbury Avenue next to Circuit City...ohmygod, why couldn't I come up with that? Why do I panic whenever unsure of where I am in Portsmouth? Most places don't do that to me...I think Portsmouth is the only place that is able to make me stupid every time and filled with anxiety. I DID actually manage to make it to my appointment on the dot, I don't know how....maybe I time travelled.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Portsmouth is a very confusing town, especially rte 1, and even Woodbury ave.. I'm glad you managed to make it on time.. you'll have to tell me how you pull off that time travel thing!!

christhadasister said...

Rte 1 is a mo-fo nightmare! I never know if I'm going north or south or if I come onto it from the west- forget it, I don't know if I need to go left or right, if I'm coming or going!!
That's what you get with a road that spans the eastern seaboard, I guess.

Anonymous said...

There is definitely something about Portsmouth! After all these years living in Southern NH, I still get lost. Never do I seem to enter Portsmouth the same way as before or leave the same way as I enter.