Thursday, November 10, 2005
Mothers
Why is it, no matter what age you are, your mom can still make you feel guilty?
I like to sleep in on weekends when I can. I can't do it all the time, but when I can, I revel in it. It's just such a luxury to me. I went to the MFA with a co-worker last Saturday so I had to be up and about early to pick her up and then get down to the museum before 10:30, which was our ticket time for the Ansel Adams exhibit.
So by Saturday night I was really looking forward to sleeping in Sunday morning, which I did, I totally did. I woke up once around 6, peeked at the clock and rolled over and went back to sleep surrounded by lots of pillows and covered with a couple of quilts, my nest.
The phone rang and J answered it and brought the phone up to me....it's your mom. I woke up quickly, thinking something must be wrong since she doesn't call often. I glanced at the clock and it was 9:45. I tried to sound alert when I took the phone but I didn't fool her; she knew right away. She said, "Are you STILL in bed lazy bones?" I answered yes I was but then started making excuses as to why I was still in bed; I was up late last night, did a lot of traveling on Saturday, my back is bothering me, blah blah blah......WHY? Why do I do that? If I want to stay in bed, I can stay in bed. I'm all grown up (mostly) and answer to myself.
Then I spent the next couple of hours busily doing chores to kind of make up for sleeping in. How ridiculous is that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Is it our desire to please or our fear to disappoint that gives them the ability to make us feel guilty?? Hmmm... probably neither, they just do it cuz they can! :)
Post a Comment