Thursday, June 16, 2005
Sick Day
I felt miserable, dizzy, congested, raw throat and exhausted, so I took a sick day. I crashed back in my bed, my haven, and promptly went back to sleep, waking each time one nostril clogged up and I found myself breathing through my mouth. I hate mouth-breathing. Could feel myself going down into a restful sleep and the dratted phone rings.
It's James Earl Jones. No really...James Earl Jones. He has the most distinctive voice. He wanted to know if I'd received my DSL set-up kit yet and if so, what was I waiting for? Why not install it now? Since it was a recording, I hung up about half way through it and threw the phone on the floor. After blowing my nose with a thousand more tissues, I settled into my nest of pillows and blankets again and managed to get a couple hours sleep. My beautiful wonderful dog laid down on the floor next to the bed and contented herself with waiting for me to get up and pay attention to her. She's so easy....as long as she's near me, all's right with her world.
The next time I woke up, I toddled downstairs to get some coffee and take the dog out....after all, her bladder is only so big and I figured the fresh air might blow some of those cob webs out of my head. No sooner did I get back into my bed and settle in again, but the damn phone rings again. This time it's J. He wants to know if I'm okay and what I'm doing....what do you THINK I'm doing?? I'm TRYING TO HEAL. He got the hint after a couple of minutes of me grunting at him; it was the closest thing to talking I could accomplish. I hadn't used my voice except to say hello each time the phone rang.
After a couple more sleep opportunities, I got up to refill my drink....drinking and peeing the two most strenuous things I wanted to do today. That phone rang again...it's was James Earl again, repeating his message to me.....I talked back to him (it wasn't pleasant); it didn't help. He wasn't listening. This time I listened all the way to the end, hoping that this will be the last call James Earl feels he needs to make to assure I am up and running on DSL. I'll tell you something--that DSL had better be worth it.
Now it's early evening and I'm starting to feel like I should have a little food to give my stomach something to work with. How about some nachos? They will have the added benefit of making my nose run and my eyes water....making this cold get over with more quickly?? One can only hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment