Sunday, March 30, 2008

My Big Sister

Sometimes the best people are taken away before you have the chance to say goodbye properly. My beautiful sister, my hero died suddenly at home alone. Apparently, she knew she had some health issues but didn't share that knowledge with us; didn't want anyone to worry. The last time I saw her was at a niece's wedding in September. As always, I told her how much I loved her, that she was my hero and she just laughed. She didn't think she was unusual; she didn't realize that she was a special person to so many of us that knew her and loved her. Her blonde hair framed her beautiful face so well and her sparkling green eyes were always crinkled at the corners, her smile showing there as well.
She survived breast cancer and the senseless murder of one of her sons and she showed me the way to survive the sudden death of my own son. She always reached out and opened her heart and home to those who needed some help along their path. Always a smile on her face and a readiness to find humor in most anything difficult as a way to cope. It's better to laugh than to cry we said. She authored a few scholastic books and told me about the children she interviewed, some blind, some deaf, all with some lack of function that we all take for granted; she said THEY were the heroes, the ones that embraced life and didn't even realize that others might find them challenged.
We used to say that the sisters would all grow old together; we'd buy a house with a large porch and many rockers and we would sit in those chairs and rock together making each other laugh, remembering all the good times. I think she was the glue that held us together. I hope she's getting a house like that ready for all of us once we pass on and can join her again.
She's still my hero.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute. But you, my lovely friend, have so many of the same attributes! I wish I'd known L, I feel I know her a little through your words. Love you, sweetie!
Vt6Dragon

christhadasister said...

I'm so sorry and saddened to read about your sister's passing. I know how much you loved her and looked up to her and VT6dragon is right- you are like her in so many ways and are the hero of so many people you meet and inspire (like me!) What a beautiful post. Sending you lots of love and hugs!!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss..I can't imagine losing a sister, they are so special! You're in my thoughts.. and I too am sending you lots of love and hugs!!

Ezili said...

Thank you all my girl friends -- it helps to know, even though we may not see each other often, that you're there and you care. The same goes for me. I love you all!