Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking

Mom was rushed to the ER because she "fainted" while grocery shopping. What happened was her heart stopped beating and then started up again, several times. The grocery store personnel had to go out to the car to get my dad. He was reading a magazine, letting her do the "woman's work." UGH! She ended up being airflighted by helicopter to a cardiac hospital where they wanted to do a cardiac cath to see what was going on. Her kidneys weren't up to the amount of dye necessary to explore so they installed a pacemaker until they could try again on Monday. I went away for the weekend to visit a dear friend 175 miles away and called my dad while on the road, hoping to get a number at the hospital so I could talk with my mom. Had to leave a message since he didn't answer and he never called me back all weekend. Through sibling emails today, I was able to obtain a phone number and immediately called her to see how she was feeling. She said they put a stent into the main artery into her heart since it was blocked -- yeah, just a fainting spell mom -- and she was feeling much better in that department. But what was most impressive to her was her helicopter ride to the cardiac hospital! She loved it! She thought it was very exciting and would like to do it again, except she says, it's probably too expensive. That's what I like best about my mom -- she always finds something good in whatever is happening to her....takes a licking and keeps on ticking, now with a little help from some spare parts. I'm just glad she's still looking forward to adventures.

No comments: