It's done. I finally managed to get myself together enough to have a memorial service for my son. Lots of tears but many smiles too, for the wonderful people that came and helped me to celebrate his life. J did a wonderful job putting together two collages of D throughout the years. The Pastor did a nice job with the sermon and getting the church all prepared for me. The video production was wrong at the beginning of the week, but after going down to the business myself on the Wednesday before and asking nicely for the owner to "redo" for me to include parts that were very important to J and I, it too turned out nicely, not exactly as I had envisioned, but since I don't quite have those technical skills, I settled for the next best thing. We had a butterfly release in the garden after the Pastor said some fitting words and we sent good wishes to D and symbolically set him free to move on to his next phase, whatever that may be. I thought it would be a point where I could think, ahh, it's over, now I can move on, but as happy as I am with how it turned out, I still find myself with tear filled eyes and wishing I could "do over" some things in the years before D left for Colorado. TIME, it's going to take time; I have to keep telling myself that.
But I have to say, I felt so loved by the friends that traveled far to help me make the day a good one. Thank you my good friends and I hope D was looking down on us and approved of our celebration of him.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Memorial Service
It's done. I finally managed to get myself together enough to have a memorial service for my son. Lots of tears but many smiles too, for the wonderful people that came and helped me to celebrate his life. J did a wonderful job putting together two collages of D throughout the years. The Pastor did a nice job with the sermon and getting the church all prepared for me. The video production was wrong at the beginning of the week, but after going down to the business myself on the Wednesday before and asking nicely for the owner to "redo" for me to include parts that were very important to J and I, it too turned out nicely, not exactly as I had envisioned, but since I don't quite have those technical skills, I settled for the next best thing. We had a butterfly release in the garden after the Pastor said some fitting words and we sent good wishes to D and symbolically set him free to move on to his next phase, whatever that may be. I thought it would be a point where I could think, ahh, it's over, now I can move on, but as happy as I am with how it turned out, I still find myself with tear filled eyes and wishing I could "do over" some things in the years before D left for Colorado. TIME, it's going to take time; I have to keep telling myself that.
But I have to say, I felt so loved by the friends that traveled far to help me make the day a good one. Thank you my good friends and I hope D was looking down on us and approved of our celebration of him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
We would have traveled further. As far as it took to get to you. I think the others felt the same way. We felt honored to be included in this especially important time and are so glad you asked us to participate.
I agree that the service was good and fitting and everyone who helped did a fantastic job. The photos that J did were fabulous. It was so good to see her again too. The butterfly release was beautiful - all of them flying off and then coming back to light on the flowers in that beautiful garden. Spectacular.
I believe D needed your help to do his work here on earth and so he chose you because he knew you would and could help him get through it and on to his next phase. I see your heartache, yes, but also see a complete success. He chose you because he knew he could count on you.
We can talk more about this in August. Can't wait to see you again.
J
Post a Comment